Interview with Mark Malkoff: The guy who visited 171 Starbucks in one day
A few years ago a New York comedian Mark Malkoff decided that he would visit all 171 Starbucks in Manhattan in one single 24-hour period. Could he do it? Mark produced a nail-biter of a video of his quest. Though it’s been a few years, it’s still a delight to watch. A few days ago, I caught up with Mr. Malkoff through email and asked him a few follow-up questions. Thank you Mark for agreeing to this mini interview and your answers are wonderful! Enjoy!
(If you enjoy reading interviews, click here for more of them.)
(1) What’s your favorite Starbucks drink?
I love Frappuccinos, but normally stick to green tea.
(2) How long after visiting 171 Starbucks was it before you stepped foot into a Starbucks again?
About two weeks.
(3) I laughed out loud at the part of bribing a barista for a piece of pound cake. Eighty dollars for a piece of pound cake. So have you had any subsequent opportunities to bribe a barista?
No other bribes. I was amused that the worker was soon after actually promoted to scheduling manager. I must mention it was the tastiest $80 pound cake I’ve ever had.
(4) I recently saw in the news that a brand new New York City Starbucks opened up: http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=437 – Upper East Side. Just checking … Have you been to it?
Not yet. I’ve been to all the others so I’m sure I’ll visit sooner or later. It’s inevitable.
(5) What new project are you working on that you want to tell my readers?
I’m working on a bunch of crazy new video projects, but I’m sworn to secrecy. I can tell you that one video project involves New York City taxis.
(6) If you could, say, ask, or tell Howard Schultz (CEO of Starbucks) one single thing, what would it be?
I’d tell Howard how much I admire that Starbucks gives back to the community.
(7) When was your most recent trip to Starbucks?
I was in a Starbucks in the past week. Normally I get a green tea.
(8) I saw that you made a video called “5 days in a bathroom” – Actually, I only found part 2 and not part 1. But so it might have been 5 days without internet, but did you really have to go without Starbucks for 5 days?
I did go 5 days without Starbucks, but the Starbucks people actually heard about what I was doing and sent over packets of Via. They were so kind to think of me.
(9) My favorite part of the “5 days in a bathroom” was you learning how to knit. The sight of you with pink knitting needles and some nice chunky yarn made me giggle. Have you kept up with the knitting? If so, what was the last thing you made?
All I’ve made so far is that one scarf. Maybe I’ll shoot next for a sweater.
(10) When you’re not being absolutely hilariously funny, and finding people to carry you around New York, what do you do?
Let’s see. I write a lot. I work on coming up with ideas. I go to church. I apologize to my wife for putting her through my comedy projects. 171 Starbucks was particularly agonizing for her.
(11) Have you ever been to Seattle? I’ve only been on one vacation to New York City and it was in the month August, and I experienced humidity like never before. What do you do to get away from that?
Yes I’ve been to Seattle. I loved it. When it’s humid in New York I try to stay in my apartment … or maybe go to Starbucks.
(12) And last but not least, there is only one right answer to this question, do you use a Registered Starbucks Card? If not, go get one!
No. Good idea!
(13) I forgot to ask, how many months or how much time went into preparing for 171 Starbucks in one day? It looks like an enormous amount of planning!
It took me two months of preparation. I don’t know how I pulled it off. I had to hit a store every seven minutes for over 23 hours!