Seattle wakes up to La Boulange bakery treats at participating Starbucks stores.

by Melody on June 4, 2013

IMAG5326 La Boulange Pastry Case - East Olive Way Starbucks - 4 Jun 2013Today (June 4, 2013), Starbucks introduces La Boulange bakery items to participating Starbucks locations in Seattle (and greater Seattle locations).

I assume I have a few readers who discovered the new bakery items in the pastry case today.  What did you think?  La Boulange items already were in roughly 400 Starbucks stores in the Bay area/ greater San Francisco area of California.

I recommend going back and reading my previous La Boulange article – it has a lot of information in it:

La Boulange – Media preview event at the Starbucks headquarters.

I dropped by the East Olive Way Starbucks this morning, shortly before 8:00 a.m.  The store looked great.  Chris, a Starbucks partner, wore a pink apron and sampled all kinds of La Boulange items.  I tried the new Pumpkin Cheese Cream Loaf Cake, which apparently was a last minute addition to the lineup – I don’t recall having tried it at the media event I attended.  Today, I tried the small carrot cake (not sure of its exact name) with vanilla frosting, which was delicious.  I thought that even the store’s door cling looked great!

I am hoping that a few readers have tried the new La Boulange items!  What do you think?  Obviously, you can weigh in whether or not you’ve had the chance to taste the new bakery items!

IMAG5336 La Boulange goodies 4 June 2013 Olive Way StarbucksIMAG5340 Chocolate Marble Loaf Cake - Classic Coffee Cake - 04June2013 Olive Way StarbucksIMAG5356 Partner Chris sampling at the Olive Way Starbucks 4 June 2013IMAG5338 Blueberry Scone - Berry Coffee Cake- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Loaf 4Jun2013 Olive Way StarbucksIMAG5334 La Boulange pastry case 4 Jun 2013 Olive Way StarbucksIMAG5347 La Boulange door cling East Olive Way Starbucks 4 June 2013

Kevin November 11, 2013 at 8:13 am

I really miss the old pastries from Starbucks these ones that they have now are way overpriced and a lot smaller and the other ones were I used to get their cinnamon rolls and they were so good when they were warmed up please Starbucks bring back the old pastries again!

Joan November 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I think the new pastries like mini loafs are like a cake mix, no substance nothing like the sliced loaf that were like what I make at home. Like another comment earlier, maybe I should thank them as I too am only going for the coffee. I go to the store fronts where they still sell the old pastries, like pumpkin loaf, banana bread and the great oatmeal cookies. I don’t know how long the store fronts will continue to sell the old pastries but I will be going there for my favorites.

karen martinson November 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I really miss the yummy slices of lemon poundcake, the pumpkin loaf, the choco coffee cake slice flavored with cinnamon, and the treat I waited for with anticipation yearly: gingerbread slices! I have tried several of the new cakes and treats, and I find them uniformly nondescript in flavor, greasy and tough (too high of gluten in the flour mix), smaller and without the tender crumb that the previous treats provided. It was sad enough to watch the coffee varietals disappear, and now the treats are gone, I have tossed my SBUX card, and will not consider this business a destination for an enjoyable treat and a cuppa. Very sorry to see this, as I was a loyal customer at the flagship store when I had a stall in the Pike Place Market so many years ago. I even bought stock in the company, but have sold that too. Sad.

Rosa December 24, 2013 at 8:01 am

I took the time to make a call to Starbuck’s Corporate to express my disappointment in the new pastries. I had the mini loaf and will never try any of the other ones. It was awful. The fact that it was heated, handed as a to go item, and the concept that by the time the customer gets to their destination that the item would be rubbery (or possibly more rubbery), was completely lost on Starbucks. Even the Starbuck’s employees admit to hearing customer complaints and not liking the new menu. I travel as part of my job and the only saving grace is that Starbuck’s in airports have not switched over to the new menu. I can still enjoy a piece of lemon pound cake with my side order of a tall coffee. Admittedly the draw was the pound cake.

Shame on Starbuck’s for not thinking this one through!

TLM January 1, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Bring back the butter horns, raspberry scones, cinnamon twists, lemon pound cake! I could go on! The only pastries I will touch now are their croissants, but any food chain can serve a croissant. The cakes are fake and rubbery. The morning bun and coffee cake clearly have disgusting tastes of lemon juice. Bring back the quality Starbuck’s!

Mark Hanus January 25, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Starbucks has a lot to lose even if they sell a lot of gift cards.
I have begun to supplement my cravings for sweet danish by going to a local bakery.
I purchase what I can, and know will last for the next few days.
Starbucks new bakery taste old, stale, and lacks anything that could resemble first class.
I was surprised to find that someone made this poor choice, after the company made many smart decisions. I guess like Microsoft, they have become too big to understand quality control!

Gina McKenzie January 31, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I just went to a local Starbucks to get a box of the frozen cranberry orange scones and they told me that these pastries are going away next week. What! No one can tell me why and I just found this website that tells me some information. It looks like the grand opening is next week of this new French Pastry company (La Boulange) that will be selling other items. I am vowing now to not purchase another Starbucks item and trashing my gold card.

Diele January 31, 2014 at 4:55 pm

There are cranberry orange scones in my store that offers La Boulange. I like them better than the old style.

R.Atkins March 2, 2014 at 3:39 pm